Sugar-Free, Gluten-Free, Keto Chocolate Chip cookies that ACTUALY look and taste like the real deal!!! With crinkles in the top, a lightly crispy exterior but a soft and chewy middle, these cookies are PERFECT. The magic of these Low Carb Lupin Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies is in the added lupin flour and the special cookie dough rolling and pan banging method. 🙂 Don’t forget to watch the RECIPE VIDEO!
*** Please note, I have added weights for the ingredients that are important to measure precisely! Please weigh your keto ‘flours’ to achieve the correct texture! Here’s an affordable but reliable kitchen scale if you need one.
* RECIPE VIDEO for this recipe is below the instructions 🙂
- 1/2 Cup Golden Lakanto (Brown Swerve may be substituted here)
- (114 grams) 1 Stick of softened, Salted Butter (at room temperature, not melted) *see note 1
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- scant 1/4 teaspoon Salt (a scant measure measure, means ‘slightly less than’)
- (155 grams) 1.25 cups + 2 Tablespoons of Almond Flour (recommend Anthony’s Brand or Kirkland Brand for best texture & lower carbs)
- (13 grams) 2 Tablespoons of Lupin Flour ( Lupina Flour Brand is my only recommendation here!)
- 1/2 Cup of Lily’s Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips
- Lily’s Chocolate Bar, Chopped into chunks (to press into the cookie top like my photos)
- Preheat Oven to 350°F.
- Combine Lupin Flour and Almond Flour in a bowl and whisk until combined. Set Aside.
- Cream Softened Butter and Golden Lakanto together with a hand mixer or stand-mixer until smooth and semi-fluffy. Add in egg yolks, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla extract, and salt and mix briefly until smooth. Add in Lupin Flour/Almond Flour blend and mix until it looks like a sticky and chunky dough (see recipe video if needed). Fold in Lily’s Chocolate Chocolate Chips with a spatula.
- Line a Baking Sheet with Silpat Baking Mat (ungreased) or parchment paper. With your hands, grab some dough and roll into 11-12 round balls (the dough will be a little sticky), and place them on your lined baking sheet AT LEAST 2 INCHES apart because they will spread quite a bit. Do not flatten the dough balls. This should make 11-12 large cookie dough balls about 1.5 inches or slightly larger in diameter. Please note, that if you make more or less cookies than that (therefore larger or smaller cookies than mine) your bake time in the next step will be slightly different. Gently press in a few extra chocolate chips or Lily’s Chocolate Chunks (made from a Lily’s Chocolate Bar, chopped) into the top of each cookie dough ball.
- Bake your cookie dough balls for 11-12.5 minutes (if you made 11 – 12 cookie dough balls as recommended). *If you made 10-11 dough balls (larger cookies than mine), then bake for 13 – 13.5 minutes. If you made 13-14 cookies (smaller cookies than mine), then bake for 10 minutes.* The cookies will look very underdone even when they ARE done, because they don’t crisp up until they’ve cooled completely because of the keto sweetener in them (TRUST ME ON THIS, the texture changes dramatically when cooled). You will know when they’re done if the edges of your cookies are turning golden brown. *If the edges are not golden brown, then they aren’t quite done & If the edges are turning darker brown, then they are OVERDONE (and may taste burnt).* It can be a little tricky to get down to the exact second they’re done, because they will always appear gooey and underdone in the middle (EVEN IF THEY”RE OVERDONE!). *IF YOU WANT EXTRA CRINKLES AND CRACKS in the top of your cookies, then right after you take the cookie tray out of the oven, while they’re still hot, and bang your baking pan down onto the counter once or twice (with the cookies still on it of course). You will see an extra crack or two in each cookie when you bang it down (and yes, they’ll look very UNDERDONE, REMEMBER!). Those cracks won’t ruin your cookies, because they’ll firm up and hold together still AFTER the cool down, and they look awesome later.
- Let your cookies cool on the baking sheet for AT LEAST 15 minutes before transferring or eating (THEY WILL BE TOO SOFT TO PICK UP WHEN HOT). Eat when they’re cooled, but JUST barely warm for a really soft center! Or enjoy after completely cooling all the cookies, up to 4-5 days later (stored at room temperature in a tupperware with a lid). If you enjoy the centers extra soft, then simply heat cooled cookies (even days later) for exactly 10 seconds in the microwave and then ENJOY! 🙂
Note 1: If you are making these last minute and do not have softened butter, then DO NOT melt your butter in the microwave. Instead, cut your stick of butter into 4 slices, separate the butter chunks, and leave on the counter for 30-60 minutes. It will soften up much quicker this way!
Note 2: These are pretty easy to ACCIDENTALLY overbake them, becuase keto sweeteners don’t FIRM up until they’ve cooled off (they’re liquid when hot!). When you try this recipe for the first time, take them out when the edges are just turning golden brown – the tops will look puffy, SUPER GOOEY and UNDERDONE , but TRUST that once they cool after baking, they will look totally different and actually hold together. They don’t look LIKE my pictures do UNTIL they’re cooled completely (the wrinkles come during cooling as they sink in the middle and the keto sweetener crisps up finally!!!). Note the exact time you bake them, so if they’re aren’t crispy enough or soft enough to your liking, then you can adjust the precise time the next time you make them tailored to your own oven! All ovens run slightly warmer or cooler than the next oven 🙂
Net Carbs = 1.25 g net carbs Per serving (1 large cookie) with everything included!
*Sugar alcohols from erythritol or monkfruit are not counted in total net carbs, since they do NOT affect blood sugar levels (they’re effectively 0 net carbs)! Carb counts vary based on the brands of each item used. My calculations are for the brands listed/suggested.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 11-13 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie (1/12th of recipe)
- Calories: 162.75
- Fat: 15.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.25 g (NET carbs)
- Protein: 3.75 g